Chinese military must obey Party`s command, Xi says
Beijing: The Chinese military must strictly follow the leadership of the ruling Communist Party and obey its commands, President Xi Jinping who also heads the world`s largest standing army as well as the CPC, said on Monday.
Xi has stressed on efforts to ensure that troops strictly follow the leadership of CPC while on a tour of the Beijing Military Area Command, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
"We must make sure that troops obey the command of the Party and are absolutely loyal and reliable," he said. As the Chairman of the Military Commission, which controls the 2.3 million-strong army, Xi is the lone civilian in the high-powered military body.
The People`s Liberation Army like the other departments of the Chinese governments functioned under the CPC. Since he took over as the head of the military in November, Xi has been stressing the importance of the PLA to function under the party leadership, stamping out any debate in some circles that the military should be allowed to function as an arm of the nation like elsewhere in the world.
He has also introduced austerity measures in the military banning alcohol, luxury banquets and use of luxury vehicles in the military.
The Beijing Military Area Command, a military area command based in the capital city, has a special status and role, as well as a special mission, and it faces a special environment, Xi said.
Xi`s visit came just days ahead of the Army Day, which falls on August 1 and marks the 86th anniversary of the founding of the People`s Liberation Army.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India