Chinese military wants GPS system to be made more secure
Beijing: Two days after China started its own GPS network aimed to rival the US global positioning system, the nation`s powerful military, which is using it extensively has asked researchers to improve its security and ability to stop external interference.
Fan Changlong, vice chairman of the Central Military Commission of China, the highest military body asked researchers to properly maintain home-grown navigation system, so that it can provide steady and reliable services for the country`s economic development and military combat preparations.
Researchers need to beef up the security measures of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) and increase its capacity to ward off interference, Fan was quoted by the official media as saying.
The BDS began providing services to civilian users in China and surrounding areas in the Asia-Pacific region two days ago.
The general functionality and performance of the BDS is "comparable" to the GPS system, but cheaper, a spokesman for the system said.
Fan said the system has broken China`s reliance on foreign navigation systems and carries great significance in safeguarding national security and promoting economic development.
The Central Military Commission congratulated the officials for the launch of the BDS which makes China the third country after US and Russia to have the system.
China started its initial research on the system in 1985, and the project is named after the seven-star cluster known in English as the Big Dipper.
China launched the first satellite for the BDS in 2000, and a preliminary version of the system has been used in traffic control, weather forecasting and disaster relief work on a trial basis since 2003.
At present, the system has over 1.30 lakh military and civilian users, including those in the financial, power, fishery and fire-fighting sectors, and it served as an important means of communication during the relief work following the devastating 8.0 magnitude earthquake in May 2008 in Sichuan`s Wenchuan County, state run Xinhua news agency report said.
Ran Chengqi, a spokesman for the system, said the system aims to take 70 to 80 percent of the now GPS-dominated domestic market by 2020.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly