Chinese military wants GPS system to be made more secure
Beijing: Two days after China started its own GPS network aimed to rival the US global positioning system, the nation`s powerful military, which is using it extensively has asked researchers to improve its security and ability to stop external interference.
Fan Changlong, vice chairman of the Central Military Commission of China, the highest military body asked researchers to properly maintain home-grown navigation system, so that it can provide steady and reliable services for the country`s economic development and military combat preparations.
Researchers need to beef up the security measures of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) and increase its capacity to ward off interference, Fan was quoted by the official media as saying.
The BDS began providing services to civilian users in China and surrounding areas in the Asia-Pacific region two days ago.
The general functionality and performance of the BDS is "comparable" to the GPS system, but cheaper, a spokesman for the system said.
Fan said the system has broken China`s reliance on foreign navigation systems and carries great significance in safeguarding national security and promoting economic development.
The Central Military Commission congratulated the officials for the launch of the BDS which makes China the third country after US and Russia to have the system.
China started its initial research on the system in 1985, and the project is named after the seven-star cluster known in English as the Big Dipper.
China launched the first satellite for the BDS in 2000, and a preliminary version of the system has been used in traffic control, weather forecasting and disaster relief work on a trial basis since 2003.
At present, the system has over 1.30 lakh military and civilian users, including those in the financial, power, fishery and fire-fighting sectors, and it served as an important means of communication during the relief work following the devastating 8.0 magnitude earthquake in May 2008 in Sichuan`s Wenchuan County, state run Xinhua news agency report said.
Ran Chengqi, a spokesman for the system, said the system aims to take 70 to 80 percent of the now GPS-dominated domestic market by 2020.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?