Chinese mother gets 5 years for killing twin sons
Beijing: A Chinese court has sentenced a mother to a "lenient" five years in prison for murdering her paralysed twin sons who needed full-time care, in a case that aroused public sympathy, state media reported on Wednesday.
The official China Daily newspaper said Han Qunfeng gave her sons water laced with sleeping pills before drowning them in a bathtub in November.
The 13-year-olds had been born prematurely and had cerebral palsy.
Han confessed to the murders at a hearing earlier this month. "I just wanted them to leave quietly. I would not kill them if we could go back in time," Han told the judges, according to the newspaper.
After killing the boys, she dressed them in new pajamas and then attempted to take her own life by drinking a mixture of pesticide and rat poison, the newspaper said.
An official from the Dongguan No 1 People`s Court in southern Guangdong province said Han was sentenced on Tuesday.
"The judges believe, having taken care of her two paralyzsd children for 13 years, she committed the crime when she was under great depression and despairing of life," said the official, who gave only her surname, Liao, as is customary for Chinese officials.
"By considering that the crime has caused only relatively small harm to society, the judges have given her a lenient sentence," Liao said.
Chinese courts usually deal harshly with murderers, sentencing them to death or long prison terms.
Han, 37, gave up her job as a bank clerk to care for her children when she found it difficult to hire nannies. Han`s husband forgave her for the murders because the family was at the brink of bankruptcy after spending all its savings on treating the twins in hospitals, state media reported.
Han`s case aroused sympathy from neighbours and former colleagues who wrote a joint letter to the court pleading for mercy.
"She deserved the lenient sentence. The murders resulted from years of mental burden," one of the judges, Xue Fengyan, was quoted as saying by the China Daily.
"Depression is not an excuse for committing a crime," said Hao Xingwang, a law professor at Renmin University in Beijing. "But the mother must have suffered great economic and psychological pressure when taking care of the children. According to laws, it`s appropriate for her to get a sentence of between three and 10 years in prison."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'