Chinese Muslims celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr
Beijing: Thousands of Muslims in northwest China`s Qinghai province flocked to mosques on Saturday to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr and the end of a month of fasting during the holy month of Ramadan.
Ma Guoqing, a 57-year-old villager in Taerwan village, got up at 6 am, washed himself and cleaned his house for Eid, Xinhua reported. He donned a new outfit and joined 4,200 people at the local mosque to welcome the day.
Qinghai celebrated the festival on Saturday, while other Muslim-populated regions, including Xinjiang and Ningxia, will celebrate on Sunday.
"This is one of the most sacred and honourable festivals for Muslims," said Ma, before taking off his shoes and laying a rug on the floor to pray to Allah.
More than 150,000 Muslims gathered at the Dongguan mosque in the provincial capital of Xining to hear imams preach. Rugs brought by worshippers stretched for miles along the streets outside the mosque.
The festival lasts for three days. People also visit relatives and friends and share delicacies prepared at least a week before the holiday.
Yang Zhonghui, a 37-year-old villager from Taerwan, remembered that his family could only buy about 1 kg meat and a little dessert to offer to guests during the festival 20 years back.
But, with improvements in the quality of life, he can not only serve his guests decent food, but also make efforts to realise his dream of going for pilgrimage to Makkah.
According to statistics, around 14,000 Chinese pilgrims visited Makkah last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy