Chinese navy to hold drills in Yellow Sea
Beijing: China said on Sunday its navy will stage
live-ammunition drills in the Yellow Sea this week, after it
condemned US-South Korean joint naval exercises in the region
and vowed to respond in kind.
Beijing has said last month`s US-South Korea joint naval
drills risked heightening tensions on the Korean peninsula and
ignored China`s objections to any foreign military exercises
off its coast.
The Beihai Fleet of the Chinese People`s Liberation Army
Navy will conduct exercises from Wednesday to Saturday in the
sea off the southeast coast of Qingdao city, where the fleet
is headquartered, the official Xinhua News Agency said, citing
the defence ministry.
The drills are routine, annual training mostly involving
the shooting of shipboard artillery, Xinhua said. Calls to the
ministry`s offices rang unanswered Sunday.
The United States and South Korea have planned additional
joint manoeuvres in the Yellow Sea early next month, although
no dates have been announced. Last month`s drills were held in
the East Sea, the waters off the Korean peninsula`s east
The series of joint US-South Korean exercises were
planned as a show of force aimed at rebuking North Korea after
an international investigation found that it had torpedoed a
South Korean ship in March, killing 46 sailors on board. North
Korea has denied the allegation and China has not joined the
international condemnation of the North.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow