Chinese navy to hold drills in Yellow Sea
Beijing: China said on Sunday its navy will stage
live-ammunition drills in the Yellow Sea this week, after it
condemned US-South Korean joint naval exercises in the region
and vowed to respond in kind.
Beijing has said last month`s US-South Korea joint naval
drills risked heightening tensions on the Korean peninsula and
ignored China`s objections to any foreign military exercises
off its coast.
The Beihai Fleet of the Chinese People`s Liberation Army
Navy will conduct exercises from Wednesday to Saturday in the
sea off the southeast coast of Qingdao city, where the fleet
is headquartered, the official Xinhua News Agency said, citing
the defence ministry.
The drills are routine, annual training mostly involving
the shooting of shipboard artillery, Xinhua said. Calls to the
ministry`s offices rang unanswered Sunday.
The United States and South Korea have planned additional
joint manoeuvres in the Yellow Sea early next month, although
no dates have been announced. Last month`s drills were held in
the East Sea, the waters off the Korean peninsula`s east
The series of joint US-South Korean exercises were
planned as a show of force aimed at rebuking North Korea after
an international investigation found that it had torpedoed a
South Korean ship in March, killing 46 sailors on board. North
Korea has denied the allegation and China has not joined the
international condemnation of the North.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened