Chinese newspaper issues corrections after dispute
Beijing: A Chinese weekly newspaper, whose editorial staff had a rare but short-lived revolt against censorship, issued a correction on Thursday for mistakes that were blamed on censors and helped fuel the dispute.
The correction came as a bookend to a dispute in which journalists tested the boundaries of state censorship and in which China`s ruling Communist Party showed that it is not ready to loosen its tight grip on the media.
Journalists at the Southern Weekly said the mistakes resulted from last-minute changes made by censors who ignored a usual review by the paper`s editorial department.
The journalists used the errors to air their frustration and draw attention to how heavy censorship changed the paper`s New Year`s message from a call for constitutionalism into a tribute to the Communist Party.
Journalists had threatened to go on strike, but the tension fizzled after the editorial staff and the censors reached a compromise that would relax some intrusive controls while keeping much of the censorship in place.
Public calls for the ouster of the region`s top censor were ignored, and the newspaper was published last Thursday with no hint of the dispute.
This week, the paper ran a correction at the bottom of the second page to fix three glitches from the New Year`s edition: a typo, a wrong date and an erroneous numbering of the edition. But there was more: The journalists also made their first though oblique and mild reference in print to the censorship dispute.
"Newspaper mistakes are always in black and white. In every link of editing and publishing a newspaper, its standard process should always be respected and followed. We have never been more keenly aware of this," read the correction signed by the editorial staff.
Members of the editorial staff could not be reached for comment today, because they had been asked not to talk to the foreign media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof