Chinese official executed for corruption, rape
Beijing: A senior officer of the Chinese justice department was executed Wednesday after being sentenced to death for corruption and rape.
The death sentence awarded to Wen Qiang, 55, former director of Chongqing Municipal Judicial Bureau, by a lower court April 14 was approved by the Chinese Supreme Court.
The Municipal Higher People`s Court May 21 rejected the appeal of Wen, who was convicted for accepting bribes, shielding criminal gangs, rape and failing to account for his assets worth 10 million yuan, Xinhua reported.
The lower court convicted Wen of taking bribes of more than 12 million yuan ($1.76) by helping companies and businessmen gain illegal profits.
Wen was also found guilty of shielding organised crime gangs and raping a university student in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog