Chinese official executed for corruption, rape
Beijing: A senior officer of the Chinese justice department was executed Wednesday after being sentenced to death for corruption and rape.
The death sentence awarded to Wen Qiang, 55, former director of Chongqing Municipal Judicial Bureau, by a lower court April 14 was approved by the Chinese Supreme Court.
The Municipal Higher People`s Court May 21 rejected the appeal of Wen, who was convicted for accepting bribes, shielding criminal gangs, rape and failing to account for his assets worth 10 million yuan, Xinhua reported.
The lower court convicted Wen of taking bribes of more than 12 million yuan ($1.76) by helping companies and businessmen gain illegal profits.
Wen was also found guilty of shielding organised crime gangs and raping a university student in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read