Chinese official executed for corruption, rape
Beijing: A senior officer of the Chinese justice department was executed Wednesday after being sentenced to death for corruption and rape.
The death sentence awarded to Wen Qiang, 55, former director of Chongqing Municipal Judicial Bureau, by a lower court April 14 was approved by the Chinese Supreme Court.
The Municipal Higher People`s Court May 21 rejected the appeal of Wen, who was convicted for accepting bribes, shielding criminal gangs, rape and failing to account for his assets worth 10 million yuan, Xinhua reported.
The lower court convicted Wen of taking bribes of more than 12 million yuan ($1.76) by helping companies and businessmen gain illegal profits.
Wen was also found guilty of shielding organised crime gangs and raping a university student in 2007.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane