Chinese official fired after crash site smile
Beijing: An official who was photographed smiling at the scene of a fatal bus crash that occurred in northwest China`s Shaanxi Province late last month has been removed from his post over a serious violation of discipline, authorities said Friday.
Yang Dacai was dismissed from his position as member of the Shaanxi Provincial Commission for Discipline Inspection of the Communist Party of China (CPC), as well as head and Party chief of the provincial work safety administration, according to provincial discipline watchdog.
The commission said a further investigation of Yang is underway, reported News Agencies.
Yang first came into the spotlight after he was photographed wearing a broad smile while surveying a collision between a bus and a methanol tanker that left 36 people dead Aug 26.
His expression was seen as unsympathetic and aroused wide public indignation, although he explained that he was "unprepared" at the time the photo was taken and smiled at the site in an attempt to comfort his colleagues.
Yang then found himself targeted by netizens, with photos surfacing of Yang wearing 11 luxury wristwatches. Although Yang claimed he purchased the watches with his own salary, Internet users argued that a public servant could not possibly afford the expensive watches.
After the scandal broke, the provincial discipline watchdog said that Yang would be investigated and receive serious punishment if any disciplinary violation or corruption was found.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach