Chinese official in sex tape scandal now jailed for bribery
Beijing: A Chinese official, sacked for involvement in a sex tape scandal, was today sentenced to 14 years in jail for bribery in southwest China.
Han Shuming, former head of Changshou District, was convicted of accepting bribes worth 4.4 million yuan (USD 724,680) in Chongqing Municipality, according to the ruling by the Chongqing No. 1 Intermediate People`s Court.
Han, 48, took advantage of his position and assisted with land leasing and construction contracts for two businessmen - surnamed Jiang and Li - in exchange for bribes between 2001 and 2013, according to a statement from the court.
Han`s accomplice, Feng Binghui, was sentenced to five years in jail for taking bribes worth 900,000 yuan in the deals with the businessmen, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Han was removed from his post and investigation starting in January 2013, when an extortion gang was arrested for blackmailing him with secretly recorded sex videos.
Over 20 government officials and executives of state- owned enterprises, including Han and former Communist Party chief of Chongqing`s Beibei District Lei Zhengfu, were involved in the scandal.
Lei was later jailed for 13 years, and the six members of the extortion gang received jail terms ranging from 18 months to ten years in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre