Chinese official suspended over lead poisoning
Beijing: Authorities say an environmental official in eastern China has been suspended after a battery factory sickened more than 200 children with lead poisoning.
The government of Huaining County in Anhui province says the head of the local environmental protection bureau, Zhao Yiping, was suspended from his duties after tests confirmed that lead emissions from a battery plant had polluted the nearby soil.
The government said in a statement on Sunday that 228 children out of 307 tested were found to have high levels of lead in their blood and 28 of them were hospitalised. It said the battery plant had been forced to halt operations.
New cases of lead poisoning regularly occur in China, the world`s largest producer and consumer of lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof