Chinese official suspended over lead poisoning
Beijing: Authorities say an environmental official in eastern China has been suspended after a battery factory sickened more than 200 children with lead poisoning.
The government of Huaining County in Anhui province says the head of the local environmental protection bureau, Zhao Yiping, was suspended from his duties after tests confirmed that lead emissions from a battery plant had polluted the nearby soil.
The government said in a statement on Sunday that 228 children out of 307 tested were found to have high levels of lead in their blood and 28 of them were hospitalised. It said the battery plant had been forced to halt operations.
New cases of lead poisoning regularly occur in China, the world`s largest producer and consumer of lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit, a sign of anti-elite revolt: analysts
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh had a bitter fall-out on their Paris vacay? - Details inside
- Jayalalithaa urges PM Narendra Modi to get fishermen released from Sri Lanka
- 'Girl boss': Sushmita Sen's weekend getaway with her adorable daughters!
- Getting out of bad relationship good for your health