Chinese official with four wives, 10 children held
Beijing: A provincial official in China who had four wives and 10 children was arrested while 14 other bureaucrats who assisted him in securing a number of residency certificates subverting rules were given different punishments.
Li Junwen, 43, a former deputy to the Xiaodian district People`s Congress of the city of Taiyuan and former head of the village of Xicuan, was arrested for allegedly forging his marriage certificate, an official announcement said today.
Li was removed from the district legislature on Sunday, according to a report by state-run Xinhua news agency.
Fourteen officials who were responsible for helping Li`s illegitimate children obtain residence registration, as well as failed to properly examine his legislative qualifications, were admonished, demoted or fired, the announcement said.
They include the Communist Party of China (CPC) secretary of Xiwenzhuang township, the head of the township police station and several local officials in charge of family planning.
China`s marriage law forbids polygamy and its one-child policy allows a second child only under special circumstances.
In May, a couple in eastern China`s Zhejiang Province who had a second child were fined 1.3 million yuan (USD 206,677).
Li married Hu Yongxian in 1989 and had four children with her. Li had six more children with another three women.
Li forged a marriage certificate when helping one of the women obtain residence registration, according to an investigation by the Taiyuan municipal government.
Under family planning rules, a child born outside of marriage cannot get residence registration. However, nine of Li`s children had obtained residency certificates, according to the investigation.
Police will further investigate Li`s suspected bigamy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth