Chinese officials sacked for not punishing baby-bashing cop
Beijing: Two Chinese police officials and a top Communist Party official were sacked on Friday for not taking prompt action against a drunk policeman who allegedly hurled a seven-month-old baby to the ground, injuring her severely.
The bureau chief, political commissar and deputy secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) in Linzhou in central China`s Henan Province were sacked after Guo Zengxi attacked a baby girl in an inebriated state, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
The case caught public attention nearly a month later after Beijing-based newspaper `The Mirror` reported it on Saturday.
On July 18, a couple went out for a walk after supper holding their seven-month-old daughter in their arms when Guo unexpectedly grabbed the infant, lifted her over his head and hurled her onto the ground after he had been drinking alcohol with friends, the report said.
The baby was immediately rushed to a hospital. Guo was also hospitalised after he was beaten up by the local people.
No charges were framed against Guo, though he was detained for 15 days.
The baby was treated for multiple brain injuries and discharged from Anyang Regional Hospital on August 5.
The Public Security Department of Henan Province said on Monday that the public security bureau of Linzhou had not handled the case lawfully or reported it to higher authorities in a timely manner.
Anyang police on Saturday detained Guo on suspicion of intentional injury.
This is the second such incident of bashing the baby to the ground. In July, a man killed a toddler here by lifting her from her carriage and throwing her onto the ground during a row with her mother over car parking space.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh