Chinese police ‘arrests thousands, busts criminal
Beijing: Chinese police arrested over 10,000 suspects and 600 criminal gangs during its latest crackdown on cyber crime.
The Ministry of Public Security said the crackdown targeted pornography and the illegal sale of personal details.
The ministry said that as of June, 3.2 million ‘harmful’ messages had been deleted and 30 Internet service providers punished for granting access to unlicensed sites.
“Although illegal and harmful information on the internet has been sharply reduced through intensified crackdowns, fraudulent messages are still seen occasionally,” the official Xinhua news agency quoted a ministry statement, as saying.
“And some telecom service providers are not strict enough when managing websites,” it added.
According to The BBC, the statement coincides with reports from some of the country`s local authorities about their own efforts.
Beijing Police said it had arrested 5,007 people suspected of internet-related crimes and closed 263 Internet cafes as part of its efforts to ‘protect the physical and mental health of young people’ using the web.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest