Chinese politician flees to US with £20 mn
Beijing: A former top official of a city in northeast China has fled the country with millions of dollars.
Wang Guoqiang, who was the party secretary of Fengcheng city in Liaoning province, fled to the United States in April with his wife. According to the BBC, China’s newspaper People’s Daily reported that local officials said Wang, who was being investigated for corruption, has been removed from his post.
Several reports said that Guoqiang fled the country with CNY 200 million, which is about USD 31.5 million, or GBP 20 million.
Corruption among officials remains a huge source of anger among Chinese, the BBC said.
A report released by China’s central bank last year revealed that more than USD 120 billion has been stolen by corrupt officials who fled overseas, mainly to the US, the report said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India