Chinese politician gets death sentence for corruption
Beijing: A Chinese court has sentenced Song Chenguang, former senior political advisor of east China`s Jiangxi Province, to death with two years of probation for bribery.
Song, former vice chairman of the Jiangxi Provincial Committee of the Chinese People`s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), was convicted of taking 12. 63 million yuan (USD 2 million) in bribes from 1998 to 2010, a statement from the Intermediate People`s Court of Tai`an city said.
In exchange of the money he had offered favors to 18 companies and individuals in contracting projects, gaining sales permission and getting promotions, it said.
Given his behavior in asking for bribes and the amount of money he accepted, Song must receive severe punishment but the two-year probation of the execution has been granted as he confessed to his crimes, the court verdict said.
Song, 60, was expelled from the CPC and removed from office last July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre