Chinese politician gets death sentence for corruption
Beijing: A Chinese court has sentenced Song Chenguang, former senior political advisor of east China`s Jiangxi Province, to death with two years of probation for bribery.
Song, former vice chairman of the Jiangxi Provincial Committee of the Chinese People`s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), was convicted of taking 12. 63 million yuan (USD 2 million) in bribes from 1998 to 2010, a statement from the Intermediate People`s Court of Tai`an city said.
In exchange of the money he had offered favors to 18 companies and individuals in contracting projects, gaining sales permission and getting promotions, it said.
Given his behavior in asking for bribes and the amount of money he accepted, Song must receive severe punishment but the two-year probation of the execution has been granted as he confessed to his crimes, the court verdict said.
Song, 60, was expelled from the CPC and removed from office last July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read