Chinese politician gets death sentence for corruption
Beijing: A Chinese court has sentenced Song Chenguang, former senior political advisor of east China`s Jiangxi Province, to death with two years of probation for bribery.
Song, former vice chairman of the Jiangxi Provincial Committee of the Chinese People`s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), was convicted of taking 12. 63 million yuan (USD 2 million) in bribes from 1998 to 2010, a statement from the Intermediate People`s Court of Tai`an city said.
In exchange of the money he had offered favors to 18 companies and individuals in contracting projects, gaining sales permission and getting promotions, it said.
Given his behavior in asking for bribes and the amount of money he accepted, Song must receive severe punishment but the two-year probation of the execution has been granted as he confessed to his crimes, the court verdict said.
Song, 60, was expelled from the CPC and removed from office last July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here