‘Chinese population ageing and expanding rapidly’
Beijing: The head of China`s National Bureau of Statistics, has said that the country’s aging population is rising, while the birth rate remains low.
Ma Jiantang said Thursday that the latest census also found the proportion of Chinese people aged 60 or older took up 13.26 percent of the total, 2.93 percentage points higher than that in the 2000 census.
Ma also said that 16.6 percent of the country`s population was aged 14 or younger. The figure was 6.29 percentage points lower than that in the 2000 census.
total population hit 1.3397 billion in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too
- Watch: ISIS-style kidnapping of BJP leader's son by ULFA militants in Assam
- Apple boosts health while Microsoft revs machine smarts