‘Chinese Premier Wen set for brief Nepal visit’
Kathmandu: Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao will
pay a brief visit to Nepal on Saturday, after a planed tour last
month was abruptly postponed apparently over security
There has been no formal announcement of the much-awaited
visit. Wen is schedule to arrive at 11 a.m. tomorrow for a
five-hour visit before flying to Qatar, The Himalayan Times
Wen`s visit has been kept secret after his planed
three-day visit from December 20 last year was postponed due
to security concerns.
The government sources, when contacted, neither confirmed
nor denied the report about Wen`s visit.
Last month, the Chinese Embassy officials had expressed
displeasure over the early announcement of the date of the
premier`s visit without consulting Beijing.
Yang Houlan, the Chinese Ambassador to Nepal, met Prime
Minister Baburam Bhattarai yesterday and briefed him about the
visit, according to officials.
Wen will hold bilateral talks with the Prime Minister,
and meet other senior government officials and political
leaders during the brief stay in Kathmandu.
Wen`s visit will be the first by a Chinese prime minister
since premier Zhu Rongji`s visit in 2001.
The government has expressed its commitment not to allow
anti-Beijing protests as it has underlined its `one-China
policy` and intensified crackdown against Tibetans.
The Nepalese authorities have taken extraordinary steps
to enforce security, particularly keeping a close watch on the
thousands of Tibetans living here in exile.
Over one hundred Tibetan refugees, including 52 women,
were detained here after they entered the country from India
without valid travel documents, police said .
Nepal is home to more than 20,000 Tibetan exiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Reduced oxygen can cause childhood heart disease
- Premier Futsal: Goa 5's outclass Bengaluru 5's 3-0, seal semi-final spot
- Scientists reconstruct detailed 3D eyes from single photo
- Santander pips BBVA: Eurozone`s largest bank becomes La Liga's newest sponsors
- US sanctions target Assad regime's arms, finance networks