‘Chinese Premier Wen set for brief Nepal visit’
Kathmandu: Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao will
pay a brief visit to Nepal on Saturday, after a planed tour last
month was abruptly postponed apparently over security
There has been no formal announcement of the much-awaited
visit. Wen is schedule to arrive at 11 a.m. tomorrow for a
five-hour visit before flying to Qatar, The Himalayan Times
Wen`s visit has been kept secret after his planed
three-day visit from December 20 last year was postponed due
to security concerns.
The government sources, when contacted, neither confirmed
nor denied the report about Wen`s visit.
Last month, the Chinese Embassy officials had expressed
displeasure over the early announcement of the date of the
premier`s visit without consulting Beijing.
Yang Houlan, the Chinese Ambassador to Nepal, met Prime
Minister Baburam Bhattarai yesterday and briefed him about the
visit, according to officials.
Wen will hold bilateral talks with the Prime Minister,
and meet other senior government officials and political
leaders during the brief stay in Kathmandu.
Wen`s visit will be the first by a Chinese prime minister
since premier Zhu Rongji`s visit in 2001.
The government has expressed its commitment not to allow
anti-Beijing protests as it has underlined its `one-China
policy` and intensified crackdown against Tibetans.
The Nepalese authorities have taken extraordinary steps
to enforce security, particularly keeping a close watch on the
thousands of Tibetans living here in exile.
Over one hundred Tibetan refugees, including 52 women,
were detained here after they entered the country from India
without valid travel documents, police said .
Nepal is home to more than 20,000 Tibetan exiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city