‘Chinese Premier Wen set for brief Nepal visit’
Kathmandu: Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao will
pay a brief visit to Nepal on Saturday, after a planed tour last
month was abruptly postponed apparently over security
There has been no formal announcement of the much-awaited
visit. Wen is schedule to arrive at 11 a.m. tomorrow for a
five-hour visit before flying to Qatar, The Himalayan Times
Wen`s visit has been kept secret after his planed
three-day visit from December 20 last year was postponed due
to security concerns.
The government sources, when contacted, neither confirmed
nor denied the report about Wen`s visit.
Last month, the Chinese Embassy officials had expressed
displeasure over the early announcement of the date of the
premier`s visit without consulting Beijing.
Yang Houlan, the Chinese Ambassador to Nepal, met Prime
Minister Baburam Bhattarai yesterday and briefed him about the
visit, according to officials.
Wen will hold bilateral talks with the Prime Minister,
and meet other senior government officials and political
leaders during the brief stay in Kathmandu.
Wen`s visit will be the first by a Chinese prime minister
since premier Zhu Rongji`s visit in 2001.
The government has expressed its commitment not to allow
anti-Beijing protests as it has underlined its `one-China
policy` and intensified crackdown against Tibetans.
The Nepalese authorities have taken extraordinary steps
to enforce security, particularly keeping a close watch on the
thousands of Tibetans living here in exile.
Over one hundred Tibetan refugees, including 52 women,
were detained here after they entered the country from India
without valid travel documents, police said .
Nepal is home to more than 20,000 Tibetan exiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...