Chinese President stresses ethnic unity to minorities
Beijing: Chinese President Hu Jintao on Tuesday called for strengthening of ethnic unity in the country, his first public comments on the issue more than three weeks after deadly riots in the far west killed nearly 200 people.
Jintao did not directly refer to the violence in
Xinjiang between minority Uighurs and majority Han Chinese. He
has not publicly appeared in the region since the July 5 riots
in Xinjiang`s capital, Urumqi.
"People of all ethnicities should respect each other,
care for each other, and help each other to achieve common
progress," Hu said on a tour of southwestern Yunnan province.
"Let the flower of ethnic unity bloom brightly and
The Xinjiang violence was China`s worst ethnic unrest
in decades, with 197 people dead and more than 1,700 wounded.
Most of the dead were Han Chinese, though Uighurs say they
believe many more of their community were killed in the
ensuing government crackdown.
Officials today said that limited phone messaging and
Internet access are now available in Xinjiang, after they were
suspended in the wake of the riots as the government tried to
prevent the violence from spreading.
Xinjiang Governor Nur Bekri has accused protesters of
using the Internet and text messaging to mobilise rioters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!