Chinese region plans to extinguish 1960s fire at coal mines
Beijing: China`s Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, the country`s top coal producer, plans to douse fire that is raging since 1960s at nearly half of its coal fields by 2012 at a whopping cost of about USD 29 million.
The project would target seven north China`s coalfields where smouldering fires are monitored at 66 locations, with an impact area totalling 26.7 square kilometres, Head of the region`s Economic and Information Commission Ya Saning today said.
"More than 20 million tonnes of coal is wasted every year in our region due to the smouldering fires. And the fires also cause serious air pollution," Saning said.
The regional government has earmarked an annual financing of CNY 200 million (USD 29.3 million) from 2009 to 2012 for fighting fires, the head said.
The smouldering started in 1960s after the exposure of coal-bearing strata in the air due to faulty mining practices, which eventually led to spontaneous combustion due to dry weather of the region, Saning explained.
According to a harnessing plan, coal threatened by fire would be dug away to stop fire from spreading, while the affected region will be covered by sand.
Other materials such as slurry are also pumped to help extinguish fires underground, state news agency Xinhua reported.
Inner Mongolia produced 637 million tonnes of coal last year, ranking the first in China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof