Chinese ships enter Japanese waters near Senkaku Islands
Tokyo: In what could inflame more tensions between Beijing and Tokyo over South China Sea, three Chinese ships on Friday entered into Japanese territorial water near the disputed Senkaku Islands.
According to CNN, the ships were staying despite receiving a warning from a Japanese Coast Guard ship.
Responding to the situation, Japan sent eight jet fighters and another plane to the area, according to Japan`s Defence Ministry.
On December 13, a Chinese airplane was spotted above small islands controlled by Tokyo but claimed by Beijing, the first time a Chinese aircraft had allegedly violated airspace over the islands and the latest in a brewing territorial spat.
Japan had levied a formal protest later in the day, but China said it was merely carrying out a normal operation.
The islands known as Senkaku in Japanese and Diaoyu in Chinese have been at the centre of a territorial dispute. The purchase of the islands by the Japanese government earlier this year from private Japanese owners set off massive anti-Japanese rallies in China.
Japanese ships have been patrolling the area around the islands in the East China Sea, on the lookout for approaching Chinese ships. Chinese ships have darted in and out the waters in that area in recent months.
Some analysts say China-Japan tensions are at their highest in years. Japanese exports have tumbled since relations soured.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad