Chinese ships enter Japanese waters near Senkaku Islands
Tokyo: In what could inflame more tensions between Beijing and Tokyo over South China Sea, three Chinese ships on Friday entered into Japanese territorial water near the disputed Senkaku Islands.
According to CNN, the ships were staying despite receiving a warning from a Japanese Coast Guard ship.
Responding to the situation, Japan sent eight jet fighters and another plane to the area, according to Japan`s Defence Ministry.
On December 13, a Chinese airplane was spotted above small islands controlled by Tokyo but claimed by Beijing, the first time a Chinese aircraft had allegedly violated airspace over the islands and the latest in a brewing territorial spat.
Japan had levied a formal protest later in the day, but China said it was merely carrying out a normal operation.
The islands known as Senkaku in Japanese and Diaoyu in Chinese have been at the centre of a territorial dispute. The purchase of the islands by the Japanese government earlier this year from private Japanese owners set off massive anti-Japanese rallies in China.
Japanese ships have been patrolling the area around the islands in the East China Sea, on the lookout for approaching Chinese ships. Chinese ships have darted in and out the waters in that area in recent months.
Some analysts say China-Japan tensions are at their highest in years. Japanese exports have tumbled since relations soured.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested