Chinese ships lock horns with Japanese vessels near disputed islands
Tokyo: Armed Chinese Coast Guard ships are reported to have confronted Japanese patrol vessels near the disputed Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea on Saturday.
According to the Japan Times, the incident is said to have taken place to establish China`s maritime claims on the disputed territory and waters off its eastern and southeastern coasts.
The new coast guard was formally inaugurated after the resources of four former agencies were merged and vessels from the uninhabited islets were replaced by four armed ships.
The new coast guard has centralized operations, which is nominally under civilian control, but closely coordinates with the Chinese Navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says