Chinese top cop to be tried publicly for abuse of power
Beijing: In one of the biggest political scandals in China, a former police chief of Chongqing, linked to politician Bo Xilai and his convicted wife Gu Kailai, will be tried publicly for abuse of power, violating laws and accepting bribes.
Wang Lijun, also a former vice mayor of Chongqing, one of the four directly-controlled municipalities in the country along with Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin, will be tried Tuesday, the Global Times reported.
The trial will be held at the Chengdu Intermediate People`s Court in Sichuan province.
Experts told the daily that Wang was likely to face the death penalty with a reprieve or life imprisonment if found guilty.
The Wall Street Journal said Wang had been indicted for defection, taking massive bribes, illegally using surveillance technology, and shielding Gu Kailai, wife of Chongqing`s former party chief Bo Xilai, from criminal investigation for the murder of British businessman Neil Heywood.
Gu was convicted in August of the murder and given a death sentence with a two-year reprieve, a penalty which lawyers say is usually commuted to a life sentence in prison.
Bo Xilai remains under investigation by the ruling party`s disciplinary branch for unspecified violations of discipline.
The Telegraph said Wang knew that Gu was under serious suspicion of murdering Heywood, but "consciously neglected his duty and bent the law for personal gain" so that Gu would not be held responsible.
Wang later "left his post without authorisation and defected to the US Consulate General in Chengdu". It was not known if he made a request for asylum.
Wang had been Bo`s right-hand man in Chongqing, spearheading a controversial crackdown on organised crime that critics say featured torture and other violations of procedure, as well as illegal confiscation of assets and targeting of political opponents.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed