Chinese VP says consensus reached in US meetings
Beijing: Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping said a consensus was reached on many points in bilateral talks with President Barack Obama`s national security adviser, who concluded a visit to Beijing on Wednesday.
Xi, who will succeed President Hu Jintao later this year, said Thomas Donilon`s visit shows the importance the US government attaches to relations with China.
Donilon spoke with Xi and met with a Chinese general yesterday after meeting with Hu the previous day. Details of their talks were not released.
One issue expected to have been discussed was Syria, where a violent fight to overthrow President Bashar Assad has escalated into a civil war.
China and Russia last week vetoed a UN Security Council resolution backed by the US and other Western nations that would have imposed new sanctions on Assad`s regime.
Washington has also been pressing the Chinese military for more transparency about its plans, while Beijing is wary of the US military shift to the Asia-Pacific region.
It was not immediately known if the issues were raised in Donilon`s meeting with Gen. Xu Caihou, a vice chairman of the Chinese Central Military Commission.
The official People`s Daily reported that Hu and Donilon pledged to promote US-China relations. But the newspaper said Hu asked for a "cautious" approach in handling sensitive issues. It did not say what those issues were.
Donilon also met State Councilor Dai Bingguo, China`s top diplomat, and Vice Premier Wang Qishan during his two-day visit. He is scheduled to visit Japan next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly