Chinese warships dock in Myanmar: State media
Yangon: Two Chinese warships have made a rare visit to Myanmar to spend several days promoting ties between the two allied countries` armed forces, Chinese state media said on Monday.
The ships from the People`s Liberation Army Navy docked at Yangon`s Thilawa port on Sunday afternoon and will launch a series of exchanges with Myanmar`s Navy, Xinhua news agency reported.
"The five-day mission is aimed at promoting friendly relationships between the two armed forces of the two countries and exchange between the two navies," the report said.
The warships, which Xinhua said were welcomed with a "grand ceremony", have arrived as Myanmar prepares for its first election in twenty years on November 07, which has been widely criticised by activists and the West as a sham.
While numerous Western nations direct sanctions at Myanmar, which has been military ruled since 1962, China is the junta`s key ally, trading partner and an eager investor in the isolated state`s sizeable natural resources.
In November, China`s top oil producer began construction of a pipeline across Myanmar.
The Asian economic powerhouse has long helped keep Myanmar afloat through trade ties, arms sales, and by shielding it from UN sanctions over rights abuses as a veto-wielding, permanent member of the Security Council.
In return, China is assured of a stable neighbour and access to raw materials from Myanmar, such as teak and gems.
Ties between the two countries frayed last year when fighting between Myanmar`s isolated junta and rebel ethnic armies in the northeast drove tens of thousands of refugees into China, which issued a rare admonishment to Myanmar.
The issue of border stability was discussed when Wen Jiabao visited Myanmar in June -- the first Chinese premier to do so in 16 years.
He met with reclusive junta chief Than Shwe and the two sides signed a series of agreements on trade, finance, energy, science and technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Manjula Chellur sworn-in as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
- Gionee S6s smartphone with 8MP front camera launched at Rs 17,999
- Karisma Kapoor just shared a major throwback picture with sister Kareena and we LOVE IT!
- Fungi show green way to recycle batteries
- 7th Pay Commission: Government employees likely to get revised allowances from October