Chinese warships dock in Myanmar: State media
Yangon: Two Chinese warships have made a rare visit to Myanmar to spend several days promoting ties between the two allied countries` armed forces, Chinese state media said on Monday.
The ships from the People`s Liberation Army Navy docked at Yangon`s Thilawa port on Sunday afternoon and will launch a series of exchanges with Myanmar`s Navy, Xinhua news agency reported.
"The five-day mission is aimed at promoting friendly relationships between the two armed forces of the two countries and exchange between the two navies," the report said.
The warships, which Xinhua said were welcomed with a "grand ceremony", have arrived as Myanmar prepares for its first election in twenty years on November 07, which has been widely criticised by activists and the West as a sham.
While numerous Western nations direct sanctions at Myanmar, which has been military ruled since 1962, China is the junta`s key ally, trading partner and an eager investor in the isolated state`s sizeable natural resources.
In November, China`s top oil producer began construction of a pipeline across Myanmar.
The Asian economic powerhouse has long helped keep Myanmar afloat through trade ties, arms sales, and by shielding it from UN sanctions over rights abuses as a veto-wielding, permanent member of the Security Council.
In return, China is assured of a stable neighbour and access to raw materials from Myanmar, such as teak and gems.
Ties between the two countries frayed last year when fighting between Myanmar`s isolated junta and rebel ethnic armies in the northeast drove tens of thousands of refugees into China, which issued a rare admonishment to Myanmar.
The issue of border stability was discussed when Wen Jiabao visited Myanmar in June -- the first Chinese premier to do so in 16 years.
He met with reclusive junta chief Than Shwe and the two sides signed a series of agreements on trade, finance, energy, science and technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert