Chinese warships in Russia for naval drill
Vladivostok (Russia): A fleet of Chinese warships arrived in Russia`s Far Eastern port Vladivostok Friday to take part in a week-long joint naval drill.
Addressing a welcoming ceremony at a port of Russia`s Pacific Fleet, Leonid Sukhanov, deputy chief of staff of the Russian Navy, said the drill was one of the largest joint military manoeuvres in the region.
The drill was aimed at enhancing the two navies` capability in coordinating maritime defence operations, he added.
Ding Yiping, deputy commander of the Chinese Navy, said it was the first time the two navies were staging joint military exercises in waters near Russia`s Peter the Great Bay.
A total of 19 vessels, eight planes and two teams of special forces from the two countries will take part in the July 5-12 exercises.
These will focus on joint maritime air defence, joint escorts and marine search and rescue operations.
In 2012, the two navies conducted a joint drill in the Yellow Sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'