Chinese warships in Russia for naval drill
Vladivostok (Russia): A fleet of Chinese warships arrived in Russia`s Far Eastern port Vladivostok Friday to take part in a week-long joint naval drill.
Addressing a welcoming ceremony at a port of Russia`s Pacific Fleet, Leonid Sukhanov, deputy chief of staff of the Russian Navy, said the drill was one of the largest joint military manoeuvres in the region.
The drill was aimed at enhancing the two navies` capability in coordinating maritime defence operations, he added.
Ding Yiping, deputy commander of the Chinese Navy, said it was the first time the two navies were staging joint military exercises in waters near Russia`s Peter the Great Bay.
A total of 19 vessels, eight planes and two teams of special forces from the two countries will take part in the July 5-12 exercises.
These will focus on joint maritime air defence, joint escorts and marine search and rescue operations.
In 2012, the two navies conducted a joint drill in the Yellow Sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly