Chinese woman abandons second child to avoid fines
Beijing: A Chinese woman in eastern Zhejiang province "abandoned" her recently-born second child, a two-month-old baby girl, only to "adopt" her later in a bid to avoid fines from birth control authorities.
The 37-year-old woman, surnamed Chen, gave birth to a girl in November last year.
She then gave the baby to a relative who later told police they had found an abandoned baby at their doorstep, Hong Kong based South China Morning Post quoted local media as saying.
The police grew suspicious after Chen anxiously tried to drive away people who wanted to adopt the baby, claiming she would adopt it herself.
A DNA test later confirmed Chen was the biological mother, the report said.
The incident took place in the backdrop of the death of 13 month-old child, accidentally crushed by bus when officials tried to snatch her from her parents for not paying fine as they violated the one child policy.
The incident provoked nation-wide furore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested