Chinese woman abandons second child to avoid fines
Beijing: A Chinese woman in eastern Zhejiang province "abandoned" her recently-born second child, a two-month-old baby girl, only to "adopt" her later in a bid to avoid fines from birth control authorities.
The 37-year-old woman, surnamed Chen, gave birth to a girl in November last year.
She then gave the baby to a relative who later told police they had found an abandoned baby at their doorstep, Hong Kong based South China Morning Post quoted local media as saying.
The police grew suspicious after Chen anxiously tried to drive away people who wanted to adopt the baby, claiming she would adopt it herself.
A DNA test later confirmed Chen was the biological mother, the report said.
The incident took place in the backdrop of the death of 13 month-old child, accidentally crushed by bus when officials tried to snatch her from her parents for not paying fine as they violated the one child policy.
The incident provoked nation-wide furore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday