Chinese woman abandons second child to avoid fines
Beijing: A Chinese woman in eastern Zhejiang province "abandoned" her recently-born second child, a two-month-old baby girl, only to "adopt" her later in a bid to avoid fines from birth control authorities.
The 37-year-old woman, surnamed Chen, gave birth to a girl in November last year.
She then gave the baby to a relative who later told police they had found an abandoned baby at their doorstep, Hong Kong based South China Morning Post quoted local media as saying.
The police grew suspicious after Chen anxiously tried to drive away people who wanted to adopt the baby, claiming she would adopt it herself.
A DNA test later confirmed Chen was the biological mother, the report said.
The incident took place in the backdrop of the death of 13 month-old child, accidentally crushed by bus when officials tried to snatch her from her parents for not paying fine as they violated the one child policy.
The incident provoked nation-wide furore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read