Chlorine leak in Baghdad sickens hundreds
Baghdad: Health officials say hundreds of people have been sickened by a chlorine gas cloud that leaked over Baghdad after an explosion at a water treatment plant.
Dr Ali Bustan al-Fartousi, manager of the Rusafa health office in the capital`s east, said no one died in the Tuesday night accident and nearly all of the 700 people treated had been released from hospitals.
Al-Fartousi said most of those affected were from the sprawling Sadr City neighbourhood where many of Baghdad`s poorest Shi’ites live.
Health Ministry spokesman Dr Ziyad Tariq confirmed the number of people who were sickened from breathing the poisoned air.
Security officials blamed the explosion on a mechanical problem at the water plant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mamata announces grant to state government employees
- Intermediate Examination (Arts) Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 2:00 pm
- Class 10th (Matric) Exam Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 12: 00 pm
- Putin vows Russian retaliation over US missile shield in Europe
- More than 2,000 boat migrants rescued off Italy, 45 dead