Chokri Belaid assassinated in Tunisia, opposition calls for strike
London: Nationwide strike has been called by Tunisia’s opposition on Wednesday after Chokri Belaid, secretary general of the leftist Democratic Patriots Party, was assassinated in the capital Tunis, as per BBC report.
The senior opposition leader was shot in his head and neck outside his home when he on his way to work and died on the spot.
This is the first major incident in the country since then President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali was toppled in 2011.
He was a prominent secular opponent of the moderate Islamist-led government. His assassination sparked protests in many places in the country. President Moncef Marzouki cut short a visit to France and cancelled a scheduled appearance at a summit in Egypt to return home.
Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali said the assassination was an "act of terrorism" and a blow to the country`s Arab Spring revolution, which took place in January 2011.
"This is a criminal act, an act of terrorism not only against Belaid but against the whole of Tunisia," Jebali told Tunisia`s privately owned FM Radio Mosaique.
Thousands of people took to the streets of Tunis near the headquarters of the interior ministry to protest the killing, and chanted slogans against the government.
"This murder robs Tunisia of one of its most courageous and free voices," BBC quoted French President Francois Hollande as saying in a statement.
Recently, Belaid had accused "mercenaries" hired by the Ennahda party of carrying out an attack on a Democratic Patriots meeting.
The Paris-based France 24 TV station said Belaid reportedly received death threats.
(With IANS Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you