Christchurch is like a war zone: Malaysian student
Kuala Lumpur: "It sounds like the place
has been bombed and we are in a war zone," said a Malaysian
student who survived the earthquake in Christchurch, New
Abdullah Mohd Nawi said he was in an education centre
where he was teaching English when the mishap occurred.
Christchurch was hit by a powerful earthquake measuring
6.3 on the Richter scale yesterday, toppling tall office
buildings and leaving at least 65 people dead.
This is the second time in six months the city was hit by
earthquake after the first, measuring 7.1 on the Richter scale
which occurred in September last year.
"The quake tossed me several metres away from where I
stood. My legs were badly bruised, my shoes were torn but I
managed to hide under the table to avoid being hit by falling
objects," said the doctoral student of Canterbury University.
The situation at that moment was chaotic and he saw smoke
and debris everywhere, he said.
"Soon after I got out of the building, I didn`t know
where to go. I was very scared, especially upon seeing people
running around for safety and hearing sirens from police and
ambulance vehicles, and fire engines," said the father of two
who later joined hundreds of other victims at an open field in
Victoria Square to avoid the aftershocks.
"To get to Victoria Square, we have to wade through
sewage water flowing from burst pipes and walk barefoot and in
the process, sustain bruises...it was really tormenting," he
Meanwhile, former associate editor of The Star daily, Hah
Foong Lian, who is pursuing her PhD in the city, said she
"I am fine. Rattled and shaken by what happened but I am
fine. The house I am in, is still standing but just further
down the road, a woman was killed under a pile of rubble in a
book shop," she said in an email to Bernama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister