Christians celebrate Easter in Jerusalem
Jerusalem: Thousands of Christians are celebrating Easter Mass in Jerusalem in an array of processions and prayer sessions.
In the ancient Church of the Holy Sepulcher, clergymen in flowing white and gold robes celebrated Mass, the air fragrant with incense.
Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti, in the church on a private visit, joined the masses of Christian faithful. He shook hands with pilgrims and spoke to monks in the Old City.
Just outside the ancient city`s walls, about 350 Protestants sang Gospel music in the Garden Tomb, where Jesus is believed to be buried.
Easter Sunday caps a week of holidays that commemorate the crucifixion and return to life of Jesus. Eastern Orthodox churches celebrate Palm Sunday today and Easter next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29