Christie`s to auction off world`s biggest blue diamond
Geneva: The world`s largest blue diamond will go under the hammer in Geneva next month, with the rare gem expected to fetch up to USD 25 million, auctioneers said today.
"The Blue", a shimmering pear-shaped rock the colour of cobalt and weighing 13.22 carats was described by Christie`s as "the largest fancy vivid blue diamond in the world."
The privately-owned diamond is a "sensational stone," the auction house said, adding that the seller wanted to remain anonymous.
The gem will be the centrepiece of the auction house`s "Magnificent Jewels" sale in Geneva on May 14, with an asking price of USD 21-25 million (15-18 million euros).
If recent auctions in Geneva are any indication though, it could fetch far more.
When the world`s largest orange diamond, a 14.82-carat gem called "The Orange", went under the hammer last November at Christie`s, it raked in USD 35.5 million compared to its USD 17-20 million price tag.
And a Sotheby`s auction the next day saw the world`s largest pink diamond, known as the Pink Star, fetch USD 83 million -- USD 23 million above the asking price.
The auction house was, however, forced last month to take back the Pink Star after the buyer defaulted on the payment.
Christie`s said its auction next month would comprise 250 pieces at a joint estimated value of USD 80 million.
Among other notable gemstones will be a 5.5-carat vivid blue-green diamond named "The Ocean Dream", estimated to be worth up to USD 9.5 million.
Christie`s said the stone was the largest diamond of its kind, stressing that "the combination of its size, natural origin, hue, and saturated colour makes it an extremely unusual occurrence."
A 76.51-carat pink diamond set as a necklace valued at up to USD 10 million, and a 75.97-carat flawless colourless diamond estimated to be worth up to USD 15.5 million will also be there to titilate bidders.
Competitor Sotheby`s will meanwhile hold its Magnificent Jewels sale next door on May 13, auctioning off one of the world`s largest yellow diamonds.
The Graff Vivid Yellow, the colour of a daffodil and weighing 100.09 carats, as been valued at up to USD 25 million.
A 31.34-carat colourless gemstone called the Victory Diamond will also go under the hammer at the Sotheby`s auction.
Named in honour of the Allied victory in World War II and once the property of famous jewellery collector Florence Gould, it is expected to fetch up to USD 8.0 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price