Chuck Hagel cancels creation of new drone, cyber medal
Washington: Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel has cancelled the production of a new military medal for service members involved in drone attacks and cyber warfare.
The move comes following widespread criticism that the award would rank higher than the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.
According to Fox News, Hagel instead wants military leaders to develop a special pin or object that would be attached to already existing medals or ribbons.
The Distinguished Warfare Medal was created by Hagel`s predecessor, Leon Panetta, and it immediately triggered complaints from veterans and lawmakers.
Hagel last month ordered the military to stop production of the medal, and top defence and military leaders began a new review.
According to the report, the leaders have instead recommended the creation of an alternative honour, similar to the `V` for valour that can be attached to the Bronze Star and other medals to reward an act of heroism.
Over the same time, cyber attacks have become a growing national security threat, with Panetta and others warning that the next Pearl Harbour could well be a computer-based assault.
The Bronze Star is the fourth-highest combat award and rewards meritorious service in battle, while the Silver Star is the third-highest combat award given for bravery, the report said.
The Purple Heart is ranked just below the Bronze Star.
Several other awards, including the Defence Distinguished Service Medal, are also ranked higher than the Silver Star, but are not awarded for combat, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...