Chuck Hagel may replace Leon Panetta at Pentagon
Washington: Former Republican Senator Chuck Hagel has emerged as the top candidate to take over as the head of US Department of Defence.
Hagel was reportedly invited to the White House on December 04 to discuss the defence post with President Barack Obama.
According to the New York Daily News, two people familiar with the matter told Bloomberg News that Hagel may be nominated to replace outgoing Defence Secretary Leon Panetta as early as this month.
Hagel, a 66-year-old Vietnam veteran and two-term senator, was a fierce critic of former president George W Bush’s management of the Iraq War.
Obama discussed the position with Hagel at the White House, an administration official told Bloomberg. Another official, however, said that the President has not made a final decision yet, the report said.
Other candidates for the post are thought to include current Deputy Defence Secretary Ashton Carter and Michele Flournoy, former defence undersecretary for policy, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof