Chuck Hagel may replace Leon Panetta at Pentagon
Washington: Former Republican Senator Chuck Hagel has emerged as the top candidate to take over as the head of US Department of Defence.
Hagel was reportedly invited to the White House on December 04 to discuss the defence post with President Barack Obama.
According to the New York Daily News, two people familiar with the matter told Bloomberg News that Hagel may be nominated to replace outgoing Defence Secretary Leon Panetta as early as this month.
Hagel, a 66-year-old Vietnam veteran and two-term senator, was a fierce critic of former president George W Bush’s management of the Iraq War.
Obama discussed the position with Hagel at the White House, an administration official told Bloomberg. Another official, however, said that the President has not made a final decision yet, the report said.
Other candidates for the post are thought to include current Deputy Defence Secretary Ashton Carter and Michele Flournoy, former defence undersecretary for policy, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city