Chuck Hagel may replace Leon Panetta at Pentagon
Washington: Former Republican Senator Chuck Hagel has emerged as the top candidate to take over as the head of US Department of Defence.
Hagel was reportedly invited to the White House on December 04 to discuss the defence post with President Barack Obama.
According to the New York Daily News, two people familiar with the matter told Bloomberg News that Hagel may be nominated to replace outgoing Defence Secretary Leon Panetta as early as this month.
Hagel, a 66-year-old Vietnam veteran and two-term senator, was a fierce critic of former president George W Bush’s management of the Iraq War.
Obama discussed the position with Hagel at the White House, an administration official told Bloomberg. Another official, however, said that the President has not made a final decision yet, the report said.
Other candidates for the post are thought to include current Deputy Defence Secretary Ashton Carter and Michele Flournoy, former defence undersecretary for policy, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?