Chuck Hagel may replace Leon Panetta at Pentagon
Washington: Former Republican Senator Chuck Hagel has emerged as the top candidate to take over as the head of US Department of Defence.
Hagel was reportedly invited to the White House on December 04 to discuss the defence post with President Barack Obama.
According to the New York Daily News, two people familiar with the matter told Bloomberg News that Hagel may be nominated to replace outgoing Defence Secretary Leon Panetta as early as this month.
Hagel, a 66-year-old Vietnam veteran and two-term senator, was a fierce critic of former president George W Bush’s management of the Iraq War.
Obama discussed the position with Hagel at the White House, an administration official told Bloomberg. Another official, however, said that the President has not made a final decision yet, the report said.
Other candidates for the post are thought to include current Deputy Defence Secretary Ashton Carter and Michele Flournoy, former defence undersecretary for policy, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him