Church of England may allow women bishops
London: The Church of England`s senior most bishop, the Archbishop of Canterbury, has said he is "hopeful" the church`s ruling body will allow women to become bishops when it votes on Monday.
Justin Welby said that "theologically the church had been wrong not to ordain women" at the top jobs.
He also said that there was a "good chance" the first woman bishop would be announced by the end of 2015.
A previous attempt to make the change had failed by six votes in 2012.
"I am hopeful that we will pass, the votes I think they are there. I`m not actually focussed on what happens if it fails," the archbishop was quoted as saying by BBC.
He added that to the general public the fact that women are currently not allowed to be bishops was "incomprehensible".
If the proposal gets voted through by the General Synod, it will mark the first time the Church has opened its top jobs?to both sexes some 20 years after women were first ordained as priests.
Rowan Williams, the previous Archbishop of Canterbury, said the Church "lost a measure of credibility" over the failed 2012 vote.
Two years on, the composition of the Synod is unchanged but four of those who voted against the proposed change then have since said they will back the latest plans - potentially enough to swing the result.
If the vote passes, it will be debated by UK`s parliament, approved by Queen Elizabeth II who holds the title of supreme governor of the Church of England and then come back to the General Synod in November.
Anglican women bishops have already been ordained in countries including the US and Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- British politics in turmoil as Brexit talks loom