Church-sponsored anti-gay marriage march hits Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires: Tens of thousands of people
took part in a church-sponsored, anti-gay marriage
demonstration outside Congress, as senators prepared to vote
on a bill already approved by the lower chamber.
"We want a daddy and a mommy," "Say yes to the real
family," read some of the signs scattered among the protesters
decrying what Roman Catholic church officials have branded
"the devil`s project."
Argentina, where 91 per cent of the population says it is
Catholic, could become the first Latin American country to
pass a law legalising marriage between same-sex couples if the
Senate adopts the bill today.
The measure, which would grant the same rights to
homosexual couples as heterosexual ones, cleared a first
hurdle on May 5 in the lower chamber, but the Senate is
gearing for a tougher battle.
Buenos Aires Archbishop Jorge Bergoglio read a message at
the demonstration saying a marriage between a man and a woman
"is the only natural path to procreation."
"If they approve this bill it would mean a real and
serious reversal for anthropology," he told his cheering
Some 200 pro-gay marriage demonstrators gathered at
Buenos Aires` iconic Obelisco monument, banging pots and
blowing vuvuzelas, in the "Make Noise for Equality" campaign
of Argentina`s Anti-discrimination Institute, Inadi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her