`Chávez may only have a few months to live`
Caracus: A top US ambassador to Venezuela has claimed that cancer-stricken country’s President Hugo Chávez may not live beyond six months, and that the disease might claim his life before the next presidential elections.
The Miami Herald quoted Roger Noriega, as saying that US officials believe it is unlikely that Chavez would run in the next election.
Noriega’s statement comes in the wake of critics accusing Chavez of giving an incomplete report on his illness.
Noriega said government documents indicate that cancer is spreading faster in his body than expected, the Daily Mail reports.
“The international team of doctors in charge of treating Hugo Chávez’s cancer does not expect him to live more than six months,” he added.
“His physical deterioration is speeding more rapidly than his doctors had predicted and, despite this serious situation, Chávez has insisted on receiving low doses of chemotherapy to avoid long absences from the political scene during this fragile period,” he said.
Noriega said doctors think Chavez’s decision to reduce the chemotherapy dose might hit his health severely.
Venezuelan leaders are worried about how they would put across the news of deteriorating Chavez’s health to the public, who have been made to believe that their president is ``healed``, he further said.
Chavez had earlier denied rumours about his ill- health and had claimed that he was expecting to complete his cancer treatment.
Chavez underwent surgery to remove a tumour from his pelvic region in June.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!