CIA contractor faces felony assault count in US
Denver: Prosecutors filed a felony
assault charge against a CIA contractor accused of getting
into a fight over a parking space in the state of Colorado
months after he was involved in a fatal shootout in Pakistan.
Raymond Davis, 37, was arrested Saturday after an
altercation outside a bagel shop in Highlands Ranch, a
community south of Denver where he lives.
Davis has not yet entered a plea. His defence attorney,
William Frankfurt, didn`t immediately return a call seeking
Authorities have released few details about the fight and
did not identify the other person involved.
KUSA-TV said two drivers wanted the same spot in a
crowded parking lot.
One driver pulled up behind the other, rolled down a
window and began shouting, and the confrontation escalated
into a physical fight, the station reported.
In January, Davis said he shot two Pakistani men who
tried to rob him in Lahore. The case enraged many in the
country, where anti-American sentiment runs high.
The US insisted Davis had immunity from prosecution, but
he was not released until March 16 under a deal in which the
victims` families agreed to accept USD 2.34 million in "blood
money" under Islamic tradition.
Pakistan`s security agencies came under intense domestic
criticism for freeing Davis.
Davis was charged with second-degree assault-crime of
violence. If convicted, he could face a possible prison term
of five to 16 years.
He was originally arrested on suspicion of a lesser
charge of third-degree assault, a misdemeanour. That charge
carries a possible penalty of six to 18 months in a county
District attorney`s spokeswoman Casimir Spencer said
prosecutors opted for the more serious charge because it was
appropriate. She declined to elaborate.
Davis also faces a misdemeanour charge of disorderly
conduct, which carries a sentence of up to six months in
Davis appeared yesterday in a court in Castle Rock, south
of Denver. He was free on USD 1,750 bond and expected to
return to court for another hearing today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof