`CIA, DoD probing Osama raid leaks to filmmakers`
Washington: The US has launched a probe whether classified information on the covert US raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan was released to Hollywood filmmakers, a prominent US lawmaker has said.
In August last year, Peter King, a Republican who heads the House Homeland Security Committee, had requested the Department of Defence and the Central Intelligence Agency to investigate reports that the Obama Administration has granted Sony Pictures and filmmaker Kathryn Bigelow high-level access for a film on the secret US mission in which al Qaeda leader was killed in Abbottabad in Pakistan on May 02.
"The leaks that followed the successful bin Laden mission led to the arrests of Pakistanis and put in danger the mission`s heroes and their families," King said in a statement, releasing copies of letters written to him by the CIA and DoD.
King said he received a December 23 letter from the DoD Inspector General informing him that, following an initial review, the Inspector General for Intelligence and Special Program Assessments has launched a formal investigation into "actions taken by Defense Department personnel related to the release of information to the filmmakers".
In another letter, CIA said it is currently developing "a written policy to create a single point of reference that will govern future interactions with the entertainment industry".
King has expressed worries about the administration`s cooperation with Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc and Kathryn Bigelow, director of the Oscar-winning picture "The Hurt Locker”, who is working on a movie about the hunt for bin Laden.
The film was originally reported to have a planned release of October 2012, just a month before the November 2012 elections, King said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog