CIA on UK streets after Osama’s Manchester plot revelation
London: Over 25 CIA agents are reportedly manning the streets of Britain to keep an eye on any possible terror activity after it was reported that Osama bin Laden had masterminded a terror plot in Manchester.
It was reported yesterday that documents seized by US Special Forces from bin Laden’s Abbottabad compound in Pakistan had revealed that the killed al-Qaeda leader was directly linked to a terrorist cell in Manchester that plotted to bomb Easter shoppers in 2009.
Although the MI5 was told about the “Easter shopping” bomb plot, its US counterpart had not given any detailed information to enable the British officials to arrest suspects, the Daily Express reports.
It also emerged that President Barack Obama’s administration avoided disclosing full information about the Manchester-based plotters over fears that it might compromise bin Laden’s raid in Pakistan.
British counter terrorism police had arrested a group of Pakistani students over the plot, but were unable to press charges because of a lack of evidence. The British Government’s plan to deport the alleged ringleader of the plot also failed on grounds of human rights violations, because he claimed he would be tortured if he was sent back to Pakistan.
Most of the alleged cell members have now left Britain.
It is now believed that Britain can convict those criminals with the help of Washington.
Tory MP Patrick Mercer said the US should offer “full disclosure” of its UK-based intelligence with Britain, adding: “There is no room for mistrust.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them