CIA operating secret drone base in Saudi Arabia
Washington: The CIA conducts lethal drone strikes against al-Qaeda militants inside Yemen from a remote base in Saudi Arabia, including the strike that killed the US-born al Qaeda operative Anwar al-Awlaki.
The location of the base was first disclosed by The New York Times online yesterday night.
The Associated Press first reported the construction of the base in June 2011 but withheld the exact location at the request of senior administration officials.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because portions of the military and CIA missions in Yemen are classified.
Any operation by US military or intelligence officials inside Saudi Arabia is politically and religiously sensitive.
Al Qaeda and other militant groups have used the Gulf kingdom`s close working relationship with US counterterrorism officials to stir internal dissent against the Saudi regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice