CIA operating secret drone base in Saudi Arabia
Washington: The CIA conducts lethal drone strikes against al-Qaeda militants inside Yemen from a remote base in Saudi Arabia, including the strike that killed the US-born al Qaeda operative Anwar al-Awlaki.
The location of the base was first disclosed by The New York Times online yesterday night.
The Associated Press first reported the construction of the base in June 2011 but withheld the exact location at the request of senior administration officials.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because portions of the military and CIA missions in Yemen are classified.
Any operation by US military or intelligence officials inside Saudi Arabia is politically and religiously sensitive.
Al Qaeda and other militant groups have used the Gulf kingdom`s close working relationship with US counterterrorism officials to stir internal dissent against the Saudi regime.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged