CIA `secret Army` seeks to destroy Syria: Report
Tehran: An American author and historian says a "secret Army" of US spy agency CIA has the goal of destroying the Syrian state, Iran`s Press TV reported Thursday.
"It`s a secret army of the CIA if you will and the goal is to destroy the Syrian state," Webster Griffin Tarpley told Press TV.
"Recent news reports indicate that the so-called Free Syrian Army, the death squads are focusing on killing government officials even if they`re in the civil service... the government is targeted," Tarpley said.
"They`re also attempting to kill scientists because these people are also considered to be the supporters of (President Bashar) Assad and as we`ve seen on July 18 a huge terrorist attack on the Syrian government killing the defence minister and other top personnel," he said.
On July 18, a bomb attack on the headquarters of the National Security Bureau in Damascus killed Defence Minister Dawoud Rajiha, Deputy Defence Minister Assef Shawkat, and Assistant Vice President Hassan Turkmani.
National Security Bureau chief Hisham Bakhtiar also died of wounds sustained in the attack two days later.
"So there is no doubt this is terrorism. Al Qaeda has always been... the CIA-Arab legion and it continues to do this," the American author said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar