CIA `secret Army` seeks to destroy Syria: Report
Tehran: An American author and historian says a "secret Army" of US spy agency CIA has the goal of destroying the Syrian state, Iran`s Press TV reported Thursday.
"It`s a secret army of the CIA if you will and the goal is to destroy the Syrian state," Webster Griffin Tarpley told Press TV.
"Recent news reports indicate that the so-called Free Syrian Army, the death squads are focusing on killing government officials even if they`re in the civil service... the government is targeted," Tarpley said.
"They`re also attempting to kill scientists because these people are also considered to be the supporters of (President Bashar) Assad and as we`ve seen on July 18 a huge terrorist attack on the Syrian government killing the defence minister and other top personnel," he said.
On July 18, a bomb attack on the headquarters of the National Security Bureau in Damascus killed Defence Minister Dawoud Rajiha, Deputy Defence Minister Assef Shawkat, and Assistant Vice President Hassan Turkmani.
National Security Bureau chief Hisham Bakhtiar also died of wounds sustained in the attack two days later.
"So there is no doubt this is terrorism. Al Qaeda has always been... the CIA-Arab legion and it continues to do this," the American author said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials