CIA `secret Army` seeks to destroy Syria: Report
Tehran: An American author and historian says a "secret Army" of US spy agency CIA has the goal of destroying the Syrian state, Iran`s Press TV reported Thursday.
"It`s a secret army of the CIA if you will and the goal is to destroy the Syrian state," Webster Griffin Tarpley told Press TV.
"Recent news reports indicate that the so-called Free Syrian Army, the death squads are focusing on killing government officials even if they`re in the civil service... the government is targeted," Tarpley said.
"They`re also attempting to kill scientists because these people are also considered to be the supporters of (President Bashar) Assad and as we`ve seen on July 18 a huge terrorist attack on the Syrian government killing the defence minister and other top personnel," he said.
On July 18, a bomb attack on the headquarters of the National Security Bureau in Damascus killed Defence Minister Dawoud Rajiha, Deputy Defence Minister Assef Shawkat, and Assistant Vice President Hassan Turkmani.
National Security Bureau chief Hisham Bakhtiar also died of wounds sustained in the attack two days later.
"So there is no doubt this is terrorism. Al Qaeda has always been... the CIA-Arab legion and it continues to do this," the American author said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray