Clash between Syrian troops, defectors kill 13
Beirut: Syrian troops on Thursday clashed with armed
men believed to be military defectors in a southern village
and a northwestern town, killing at least 13 people in the
latest sign that the 7-month-old uprising against President
Bashar Assad is becoming increasingly militarised, activists
The troops stormed the northwestern town of Binnish with
more than 50 vehicles and the sound of explosions and gunfire
could be heard.
The London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and
another activist group, the Local Coordination Committees,
said five people were killed.
Rami Abdul-Rahman, who heads the observatory, said six
soldiers and two defectors were also killed today in the
southern village of Harra in the Daraa province.
He said an army force appears to have been ambushed in
Harra`s main square. Villages and towns in the Daraa province,
where the uprising began, have been a hotbed of anti-regime
protests from the beginning.
Binnish is part of Idlib a province, which borders Turkey,
an area where there have been clashes between the military and
army defectors for months. After months of mostly peaceful
protests, the growing involvement of military defectors in
confrontations has raised fears that Syria may be sliding
toward a civil war.
The uprising against Assad`s regime began in mid-March
amid a wave of anti-government protests in the Arab world that
toppled autocrats in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya.
Assad has responded with a fierce crackdown, which the UN
says has left nearly 3,000 people dead.
Syria`s opposition movement has until now focused on
peaceful demonstrations, although recently there have been
reports of protesters taking up arms to defend themselves
against military attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...