Clashes between Nigeria army, Islamists kill 59: Official
Abuja: Clashes between Nigerian armed forces and Islamists after a daring attack on the military in the country`s restive northeast left 53 insurgents and six troops dead, a spokesman said.
The rebels attacked barracks and a police station in the town of Damboa, in Borno state, late Friday while most of the troops were out on patrol in surrounding villages, drawing an army response, defence spokesman General Chris Olukolade said in a statement yesterday.
Five soldiers and a senior officer were killed while repelling the attack.
The area was cordoned off and searched, while the bodies of the fallen soldiers were recovered and taken to a military morgue. The wounded were treated at a military medical facility.
"Half of Damboa has been burnt, including the police station. People are just fleeing the town," said a resident reached by telephone who requested anonymity.
Others said the military had seized four armoured carriers.
"The soldiers gave the Boko Haram fighters a good fight and took over the four APCs they came with," said one. "The soldiers also suffered casualties."
"Many homes were burnt in the attack. Many residents have fled the area. The police station was also burnt", another resident said.
Witnesses estimated that the toll among civilians and the armed forces could be higher than that given by the army.
Security experts say the overstretched and under-resourced military is incapable of fighting an effective counterinsurgency against Boko Haram militants, who have killed thousands in their five-year campaign for an independent Islamic state in the north.
Also on Friday, a suicide bomber rammed his car into a checkpoint at Konduga, Borno state, killing a policeman and three militiamen, Olukolade said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi