Juba: A spate of attacks by rebels
against the south Sudanese Army in the region`s troubled
Jonglei state killed 105 people, 39 of them civilians, an Army
spokesman said on Friday, leaving a hard-won truce in tatters.
"On the side of the military that includes the SPLA, the
police and the prison services, 20 were killed in Fangak town,
while 30 of Athor`s men were killed," Philip Aguer said.
He was referring to renegade southern general George
Athor whose supporters attacked troops of the south`s Sudan
People`s Liberation Army on Wednesday evening shattering a
"permanent ceasefire" they signed just last month.
"Sadly, there were 39 civilians killed, including women
and children, and 65 others wounded," as well as 30 wounded
SPLA troops, Aguer said, adding that the fighting had now
The latest reported deaths from clashes in Fangak town on
Wednesday evening and Thursday morning represent a dramatic
jump from an earlier toll of 16 people killed in fighting
between southern troops and the rebels in the Door area of
"The number of casualties is high because the attacks
were a surprise. This is something we were not expecting
because we trusted the ceasefire that was signed," Aguer said.
There was no immediate response from Athor when a news agency tried
to contact him by phone, but speaking to the independent Sudan
Radio Service on Thursday he accused the SPLA of starting the
Medics at Malakal hospital, in neighbouring Upper Nile
state, said that several people wounded in the fighting had
already arrived and they were expecting to receive more.
"We are preparing ourselves to be ready for any help we
can give to those who may come," said Tut Gony, the hospital`s
Athor launched his rebellion last year after claiming he
was cheated in an election for the governorship of Jonglei
state, the south`s most populous.