Clashes erupt after Spanish PM corruption denial
Madrid: Riot police clashed with protesters in Madrid and impromptu demonstrations broke out in several other Spanish cities following the Prime Minister`s televised denial that he had accepted under-the-table payments.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy promised to publicly disclose the amount of funds in all his personal bank accounts, denying recent media reports that allege he and members of his governing conservative Popular Party accepted or made under-the-table payments.
Speaking at a special executive committee meeting yesterday at his party`s Madrid headquarters, Rajoy said "it is false" that he received or distributed undeclared money.
"Next week, my statements of income and assets will be made available to all citizens," he said, adding they would be published on the official website of the prime minister.
By late Saturday it was clear Rajoy`s pledge had failed to defuse popular disquiet as riot police cordoned off several of Madrid`s main avenues in a bid to stop protesters from gathering in large groups.
Attorney General Eduardo Torres-Dulce said Friday there is sufficient cause to investigate allegations of irregular financing within Rajoy`s party. Leading newspaper El Pais has published details of secret papers belonging to former party treasurer Luis Barcenas allegedly documenting undeclared payments.
The money was allegedly paid by businesses, many linked to the once booming construction industry, before the sector imploded in 2008. El Pais said nearly two-thirds of the alleged payments violated Spain`s party financing laws.
"I have never received or handed out `black money` in this party or anywhere else," Rajoy said.
Following the appearance of the allegations, opposition parties demanded Rajoy break his silence of recent days, with some calling for his resignation and the holding of national elections.
Demonstrations broke out late yesterday in Madrid, Barcelona, Alicante, Valladolid, and Sevilla calling on the party to explain its finances. A strong police presence has in every case stopped protesters from getting close to Rajoy`s Popular Party headquarters, saying the demonstrations were not legally convened.
"It`s absurd," said Miguel Gomez, 30, demonstrating about 90 meters from Rajoy`s party headquarters in downtown Madrid as close as protesters could get. "They`re telling us these payments don`t appear in the books, but of course they don`t. We`re talking about `black cash.` They`re having a laugh at our expense."
The revelations come at a delicate moment for Spain, which is beginning to show signs of convincing investors and European authorities that it is serious about reforming the economy and keeping its finances in check to avoid a full bailout like Greece, Portugal, Ireland and Cyprus.
The scandal broke when the National Court reported recently that Barcenas had amassed an unexplained USD 30 million in Swiss bank accounts several years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered