Clashes flare at pro-Morsi march in Egyptian city, one dead
Ismailia: A high school student was killed when opponents and supporters of deposed Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi clashed in the city of Suez on Wednesday night, medical and security sources said.
The two sides exchanged gunfire and threw petrol bombs after supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood`s Morsi chanted anti-army slogans as they marched in the city, the sources said.
Abdullah Mohamed Attia, 17, died from a bullet wound, the state news agency reported. The student was a supporter of Morsi, the Brotherhood`s Freedom and Justice party said in a statement.
The European Union`s foreign policy chief is in Cairo this week to encourage reconciliation between the Brotherhood and the government installed after the army removed Morsi on July 3 following mass protests against his rule.
Since Morsi`s downfall, security forces have killed hundreds of pro-Morsi protesters, and senior members of the Brotherhood have been arrested - actions that drastically reduced the size of protests.
A pro-Morsi alliance said it would march on Tahrir Square in central Cairo on Sunday. Morsi supporters on Tuesday briefly protested in the square for the first time since the army forced Morsi from office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!