Clashes in DR Congo after Kabila wins polls
Kinshasa: Violent protests have erupted in the DR Congo`s capital after incumbent Joseph
Kabila was named the election winner and his two main rivals rejected the result.
Gunshots rang out in Kinshasa`s eastern neighbourhood of Limete, where rival Etienne Tshisekedi, who has rejected the result and declared himself president, has his party
Third-placed candidate Vital Kamerhe also rejected the result and recognised Tshisekedi as president.
There was also shooting in the central neighbourhood of Bandale, where protesters set tyres on fire and threw stones at a heavy contingent of armed police who fired tear gas to
And there also reports of looting and at least one person was shot and wounded near Bandale.
While the unrest was limited to specific areas, calls poured in from the international community for restraint in the restive central African country.
Tshisekedi himself called for calm late yesterday. According to provisional results finally released yesterday by the election commission after a marathon 11-day
wait, Kabila, who has been in power since 2001, secured 49 percent of the vote.
Tshisekedi, they said, had won just 32.3 per cent. But Tshisekedi dismissed the figures and declared himself president, in comments.
"I consider this (result) declaration an outright provocation to our people and I reject it in full," he said.
"As a result, I consider myself from this day on as the elected president," he told reporters.
"I call on the international community, which has relentlessly encouraged me to guarantee a peaceful process, to not only find a solution to this problem but take all possible measures so that the blood of the Congolese people is not spilled again."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days