Clashes in Egypt at trial of cops
Cairo: Clashes erupted today in front of a court where policemen accused of killing protesters in the 2011 uprising are on trial, as forces sought to disperse demonstrators including families of protesters killed during the revolt.
The expected verdict in the trial of policemen accused of killing the protesters in Alexandria, during the first days of the uprising, has not yet been announced.
According to eye-witness Yehia El-Imam, the clashes began after Central Security Forces tried to prevent the families of dead protesters, and other activists, from demonstrating in front of the court. Both sides threw stones at each other.
El-Imam said, "Police used violence and tear gas was used at first to disperse protesters, the protesters threw stones at the police and one security truck was sabotaged."
Another eyewitness said, "Rubber bullets are being used. By the time I arrived there were hundreds of protesters and security in an attack and retreat position. The Corniche of Al-Mansheyya is blocked."
Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights (EIPR) Lawyer Hamdy Khalaf said three protesters were detained by police forces, but lawyers negotiated at the court to free the detainees. He denied that police officers used excessive tear gas bombs or rubber bullets.
Eyewitnesses said there were several injuries. Al-Ahram stated that two people have been injured so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!