Clashes in Kuwait over jailed opposition figure
Kuwait City: Witnesses say riot police have used tear gas and stun grenades to drive back more than 2,000 protesters demanding the release of a jailed opposition leader.
Wednesday’s clash outside a Kuwait City prison underscores the rising tensions in the oil-rich Gulf nation between the Western-backed rulers and opposition factions that include Islamists.
The crowd also marched in defiance of orders banning public gatherings of more than 20 people.
Anti-government groups have denounced the detention of former Parliament member Musallam al-Barrack for allegedly insulting Kuwait`s emir during protests.
The witnesses spoke on condition of anonymity because of fear of reprisals from authorities.
Parliamentary Elections are planned for December 01.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read