Clashes kill 21 Iraqi troops south of Baghdad
Baghdad: Iraqi officials say heavy clashes between security forces and Sunni insurgents have killed at least 21 troops south of Baghdad.
Police officials say the fighting raged for hours Saturday near the town of Jurf al-Sakhar, some 50 kilometres south of the capital. The town is part of a predominantly Sunni ribbon that runs just south of Baghdad.
The officials say dozens of militants were killed and several captured during the fighting.
Hospital officials confirmed the government forces` casualty figures.
All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were authorized to brief the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof